Boho Eclectic Bathroom Reveal {On The Cheap}



You might recall my mini rant a few months ago, about DIY lies. At the time, I was sharing our 10 year DIY bathroom project, which is now what I like to call Mostly Done. As in, as done as it's going to be until I decide to tackle repainting the trim that kinda needs it.

Before we get to the results, let's take a stroll down memory lane so that you can see where we began.

The shower was initially unusable because the surround was loose. We tore it out, put up proper backing, and tiled with white square tile (not my favorite, but matched was was in the rest of the room)

Painted with some Oops paint and hung a new shower curtain. And ditched the blue toilet lid.

 Repainted a couple years on, hung a new shower curtain, and put up new lights.

That pedestal sink became unusable after a few more years, and we removed it and had the plumbing problems repaired. Also removed the loose flooring and replaced it.

For a while, we could shower and use the commode, but there was no sink in place. We saved some cash and came up with a plan.

Here is my dream inspiration board
Boho Bath

And then my Realistic inspiration board
Upstairs Bath Reno
Now, I'm going to show you what we ended up with and about how much everything cost along the way. I'll just start by saying that the tub, toilet, and the cupboards are the only things that were here when we bought the house.


Yes, that white cabinet came with the house. The only thing I changed was the color of the knobs with ORB spray paint.






Let me break down the costs. Keep in mind, these amounts were spent over a period of about 8 years altogether.

Home Depot:
  • Floor tiles: $150ish (can't recall exactly)
  • Vanity base: $350 (we had to spend more on this than I wanted because we had to have it a certain height to cover an old wall heater that we didn't want to drywall over)
  • Light fixtures: $10 each
  • Towel bars: $25
  • Plaster/paint supplies: $50
  • Mirror: $30
  • Tub tiles and grout: $200ish (that was about 6 years ago)
Ebay:
  • Target shower curtain: $15
  • Rug: $20
  • Tub and sink faucets/hardware: $75 (new)
Amazon
  • Ceiling Fan (not pictured, but just white with a light) $40
Craigslist:
  • Vanity top with integrated sink: $100 (this was new old stock)
  • Vintage wooden shelf: $4

 Other
  • Plumbing and repair costs that we could not do ourselves: $400
  • Electrical stuff: FREE because a good friend helped Chad. We did buy him a gift card as a thank you.

The grand total here was about $1500. We did use quite a few gift cards for purchases, so out of pocket, I would guess we spent about $1000. But we also were blessed with friends and family who helped us out, saving us a few hundred in labor costs. 

Is this the bathroom of my dreams? Nope. But given what we started with, and what means we had available, I'm pretty stoked with the final result. 

Now. If only it could be self cleaning.