Easy Sourdough Bread Bowls

Easy Sourdough Bread Bowls


Several years ago, I shared my Sourdough Starter and Bread recipe here on the blog. It was a hit with many readers, as I knew it would be. Although I would love to claim to have invented it, the recipe has been around for decades and is simply one that I got from my sister, who's been baking it up for years and years.

I love to make it and find it the perfect thing for sending with a meal to someone or taking as a hostess gift. It freezes beautifully and makes the most delicious sandwiches and toast.

For New Year's Eve, I was trying to come up with an idea for some nosh to take to a party, and Chad asked me to make Spinach Dip. After searching fruitlessly at the local shops for a large bread round, I decided to try and make some easy sourdough bread bowls with my sourdough recipe. It worked perfectly, and I wanted to share the idea with you.

For one large bread round, I used my regular recipe that normally yields two loaves.
Easy Sourdough Bread Bowls

All I did was shape the dough into a rough circle, place on a greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise for a few hours. I did not adjust baking time-just kept an eye on it. 

So good.

Then I got really creative and decided to make personal sized bread bowls for soup. This also worked well, and made a fun alternative for soup night at the Agnews. And anytime I can come up with something new that my family actually likes is a huge win in my book.

For the smaller bowls, I used my larger recipe that normally yields three loaves of bread. When divided, I was able to get about eight round loaves. Depending on the size you want, you might make yours larger or smaller. I love that they turned out 'rustically round' rather than perfectly circular.

But I'm odd like that.

Happy Baking!


{alison}