A Bohemian Bedroom For Fiona

A few months ago, Fiona started asking for a bedroom makeover. It's overdue, as her last update was when she was 10 and still very much in the little girl-pink room stage. Since pink is So 2011, it's time for a change. She immediately created a Pinterest board to share her inspiration with me. And since we always decorate on a tight budget, she knew I'd need time to start scouring thrift stores, Craigslist, etc.

We've both been drifting toward the bohemian look lately, so it's natural that that's the direction we're taking. For the uninitiated, bohemian, or BoHo, is sort of the 1970s with a twist. Think macrame, natural elements like wood and wicker, kilim textiles and splashes of color.

Here's the inspiration board I came up with:

The first order of business is for her to muck out her room. Seriously, she's been accumulating junk since 2011 and I refuse to open a can of paint until the room is decluttered, vacuumed, and generally cleared out. I took it as a hopeful sign when I spotted her carrying multiple trash bags to the curb.

The once pink walls will be covered in white (surprise!) the floors painted a charcoal grey, and we'll begin to budget and assemble the other elements.

I lucked out on Craigslist yesterday and found not one, but two wicker peacock chairs for $20. Score!

I haven't yet decided on curtains, but I'm leaning toward finding some sheets and calling them window coverings. The biggest expense is a new area rug and I've been searching and searching. If you know where I can find an absolutely perfect 9 by 12 rug for about $10, let me know, m'kay?

In the meantime, I'm off to paint. Wish me luck?


{alison}