My Malicious Monday

i'm not normally a naysayer of Mondays

true
they usually harsh my weekend mellow
but 

it's not Monday's fault
really

but this week
Monday really punched me in the nose

when i pulled into the driveway after a long day at our homeschool co-op
this is what met my eyes

our sliding barn door
had been blown off its rail
by the gusty winds of November
to lay in a broken and useless heap

i snapped a quick photo
and texted it to Chad
hashtag guesswhatyouredoingoverthanksgivingbreak

and left it at that

but Monday was not through with me yet

that evening
whilst i was reading peacefully
the kids parked on the sofa watching a rerun of Full House

Noah walked in from the den
where he'd been deep into an episode of Dr. Who
and said, "I think we have a problem."

what? 

"I just saw a mouse in the den."

WHAT?

back story:

when we moved into this house
about 7 years ago
i found evidence of mice
and one, solitary creature in the kitchen
which i dispatched with all haste

we put some poison around 
and never spotted another hint of the little beasts

but they're back
and they're not welcome
and they're not staying

but back to my Monday story

Noah asked if he could get Sy's BB gun
and shoot the mouse

sure
i said

thinking, whatever

5 minutes later
true as you live

that boy waltzed back into the living room
grinning and carrying a limp mouse by the tail

"I shot it!"
said the boy who's never hit more that a nearby tin can

what?
said i

gross
said i

GO THROW IT OUTSIDE
said i

thus ended my Monday

and i'm really glad
i have a whole week until the next one.


{alison}