Salted Chocolate Caramel Pretzels


Last summer Chad and I had the chance to visit Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store in Denver and in Boulder. One of the tasty treats we tried were long pretzel rods coated in caramel then chocolate (he had dark, I had milk) then sprinkled with sea salt. They were they were divine. And I thought to myself, Self: you could totally make something like that.

So I did. I figured that using full sized pretzel rods would take too much caramel and chocolate and be a little too much if you know what I mean. So instead, I bought mini honey wheat pretzels at Aldi, plus:

  • caramel melting bits (2 bags)

  • 2 bags milk chocolate chips

  • 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • 1 T shortening (to thin the melted chocolate for dipping)

After spreading foil on cookie sheets, I melted the caramel bits according to package directions. We then dipped each pretzel stick into the melted caramel, leaving just the ends uncoated.


I chilled the pretzels until the caramel was set. Then, using a large, glass measuring cup, I melted the chocolate chips with a tablespoon of shortening over a pan of water.  We all took turned dipping and placing them back on foil to cool. I sprinkled half with sea salt and left the other half plain (per the kids' insistence)

You could of course, roll them in mini chips or drizzle with white chocolate, sprinkles, or anything else that suits your fancy.


Let me tell you, these will definitely suit your fancy. I think they will make a beautiful addition to our edible gift giving this year.



Happy Baking!

{alison}