When I Was Wonder Woman




for some reason
my children
love to listen to me tell stories about my childhood

honestly

they seem to think that I was raised during the Dark Ages
or something

to them
living in a world with
no cell phones
no wifi and
no cable
is not dissimilar to certain forms of torture

but fascinating to hear about
nonetheless

the other evening
we were discussing the inevitable
Christmas Wish Lists

which led to them asking about the sorts of things
i had wished for
all those eons ago

my reply?

Wonder Woman Underoos

the underwear that's
Fun To Wear!

i dreamed about those suckers

i begged
pleaded
wheeled and dealed

i
wanted
those
'roos

they were everywhere i looked

Saturday morning commercials
magazine ads
on my friends

Wonder Woman was the best
but there were other options for girls and boys

Supergirl
C3P0
Superman
Batman

i'm guessing that at $4.99
Underoos were a bit pricey
back in the old days

i'm telling you
that right now
i can still name all the kids
in Mrs. McGuire's 4th grade class
who had 'em

as for me
i was one happy girl
on Christmas morning, 1979
because

yup

under the tree
was one special
holly wrapped package of
Wonder Woman Underoos
all for me
which i subsequently wore
everywhere
twirling so much that
i was dizzy 9/10 of my waking hours 

in fact
i don't know how my mum was ever able 
to get them off my body long enough to wash them

cause they were awesome

i even wore them in the sprinkler

yup

sadly
they never came with 
the lasso of truth
or the bullet proof bracelets

but still

they were perfect

which 'roos did you wear?