Bridal Frippery

Maybe it's because the hubs and I are drawing close to our 15th wedding anniversary, but I've been thinking about brides lately. This summer we'll be attending two weddings, and like most women I can't wait to get a glimpse of The Dress. You know....the one that's usually white and designed to look pretty from behind. So I thought I'd post some photos of gowns I like.

Just for fun.

Let's start with what may be the world's most famous wedding gown, Lady Diana's.  I can't recall how much this cost, but it was a LOT. I remember getting up at 5am. just to see this dress,

and it was totally worth it.


Look at that profusion of silk.

This, my friends, is what a princess bride should look like.


Wonder how much it weighed?

Here are a few more familiar gowns (and you might recognize the women wearing them.)

Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

Lovely and sophisticated.


Princess Grace (nee Kelly)

Regal and lovely.


Jacqueline Kennedy's famous gown. And heirloom veil.


Elizabeth Taylor and one of her many husbands....can't keep track

Look at her teeny tiny waist!

Okay, technically this isn't a wedding dress,

but the dress is white, and I like this photo of Marilyn Monroe.


And now for some anonymous women in generally lovely gowns.

Vera Wang

The queen of wedding couture.


Vera Wang. 

Adore the silk shoulder rosettes and chiffon layering.



A floaty Vera Wang.


Oscar De La Renta from his Spring 2009 bridal collection.


Monique Lhullier.

Love the poofy skirt. 


Sophisticated Valentino gown. 

I think this one is a little 50s inspired.


Okay, technically this isn't a wedding gown either that Kate Moss is languishing so beautifully in.

It's a ball gown by Oscar de la Renta.

But it looks weddingish to me so I had to include it.

 This dress by J Crew has been on their website for at least a couple of years,

but is no longer available because it has been sold out for a while.

Small wonder.

I love the simple and elegant silhouette.

And who couldn't use a handy pocket?


Badgley Mischka.

Yummy flower details. 


I found this photo of an anonymous bride from the 1920s.

I think she looks lovely and demure.

Maybe a Society bride? 


Now, to get a little personal.

This is a wedding photo of my Aunt Alison (who I'm named for)

and Uncle Hugh.

They met when she was just 15 and lived an ocean apart for five years before they married, writing letters to each other all the while.

Their marriage lasted until her death just a couple years ago.

This is a copy of a copy, so not a great quality of photo.

But I love it.


And this one is my mom and dad, circa 1954.

Same church.

Doesn't she look sweet?

And I like his white jacket. Very dashing.

They are still going strong, 56 years and counting.


And this is me and the hubs, freshly minted from the alter.

15 years ago this May. Whew!

And I just threw this one in because that church was so beautiful.

I'm pretty sure it upstaged us!


Now, of all the bridal frippery featured here,

which dress was your favorite?